The Burton Academy at Northstar trick tip: The method
Trick Tip #6: The Method Grab
A must-have stye trick that’s as classic as it is fun to pull all over the mountain.
It’s easy to think that this is “just a grab”, but there are so many stylistic differences and variations that it can be confusing to know what a “real” method is!
The key ingredients are:
- A strong pop followed by pulling the knees up toward the chest.
- Grab melon (lead hand on the heelside edge between the feet).
- There has to be a backside shifty that is starting to come around as you grab melon, and then the legs and hips start to move into position.
- The hips drive forward as the feet start to move back (the base is now facing backward) and the rear leg is extending as much as possible.
- Those are the moves in the air for the classic pose and it has several steps to create the classic (and respectable) style.
On the ground is where it all starts…
- In your approach, set up with a heelside turn followed by a toe side turn.
- Ride up the transition on a lightly engaged toe side edge and set your shoulders closed slightly (lead shoulder pointed toward the toe side edge). This slight shoulder lead sets up the backside shifty.
- Ollie hard into this trick as it sets up the shifty and helps get your board floating up to you.
- After you pop, its time to start with all the ingredients listed above—don’t forget to counter with the shoulders so that you can control the shifty.
- After you have the grab and are posing it out with the legs beside, keep looking over your lead shoulder and reach all the way forward with your back hand (this helps the counter).
To keep it simple… Approach on the toes with lead shoulder closed. ollie/pop hard. Knees up grab heels as legs and board start to backside shifty. Drive hips and extend back leg hard to pose the board and grab. Be sure to counter with the shoulders and reach forward with the rear hand.
You can always add your own style or watch some vids to steal someone else’s! Happy Methods, Friends!
The Burton Snowboard Academy at Northstar is the only one of its kind in the world!
We strive to make snowboarding simple to learn and fun for everyone, utilizing highly-trained coaches, specially-designed terrain, unparalleled methodology, and a phenomenal learning facility to build the most interactive, fun and full-immersion learning environment ever created.
The Burton Academy at Northstar breaks down all aspects of snowboarding into simple, easy-to-accomplish steps that enable each of our riders to achieve their goals. Our goal is to help you learn to shred and fall in love with the culture of snowboarding.
We believe that snowboarding will change your life, and we hope you come give us a chance to help you learn to shred!