Stale Sandbech, Jamie Anderson top 2014 Burton US Open Slopestyle Semi-finals
Under blue skies and a beaming sun, the 32nd annual Burton US Open Snowboarding Championships kicked off in Vail, CO, with slopestyle semi-finals.
Fresh off of winning a gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Jamie Anderson continued her slope dominance, laying out a clean second run— a gap to backside boardslide, 50-50 to 50-50, and 50-50 to frontside boardslide to fakie on the upper rail section, a Cab 540 indy, frontside 720 mute grab, and backside 540 indy on the three jumps— for an 86.80 and first place heading into Friday’s finals. Isabel Derungs and Spencer O’Brien took second and third, respectively.
Following the ladies’, the men of slope put on a killer semi-finals show, with 32 riders putting down 2 runs to battle for 10 spots in the finals. When all was said and done, it was Stale Sandbech taking first after nailing a frontside lipslide to backside lipslide, 50-50 to frontside 360 out, and 50-50 to frontside boardslide to fakie on the upper rail section, and a Cab 1260, frontside 1080 to backside triple cork 1440 on his first run for an 87.05. Following Sandbech was Brandon Davis with second, and Roope Tonteri in third.
6 women and 10 men will be vying for the top of the podium in Friday’s Slopestyle Finals, set to go off at 2pm MST.
Women’s Slopestyle Semi-Final Results:
1. Jamie Anderson (USA), BILLABONG, 86.80
2. Isabel Derungs (SUI), RIDE, 78.45
3. Spencer O’Brien (CAN), NIKE, 78.25
4. Miyabi Onitsuka (JPN), BURTON, 77.25
5. Ty Walker (USA), RED BULL, 74.15
6. Cheryl Maas (NED), VOLCOM, 70.80
Men’s Slopesyle Semi-Final Results:
1. Stale Sandbech (NOR), OAKLEY, 87.05
2. Brandon Davis (USA), NEFF, 81.30
3. Roope Tonteri (FIN), BURTON, 80.85
4. Kyle Mack (USA), BURTON, 77.05
5. Tyler Nicholson (CAN), LIB TECH, 76.25
6. Sebastien Toutant (CAN), ONEILL, 75.70
7. Darcy Sharpe (CAN), MONSTER ENERGY, 74.85
8. Maxence Parrot (CAN), ONEILL, 74.30
9. Mark McMorris (CAN), BURTON,73.85
10. Emil Ulsletten (NOR), NITRO, 72.05