2014 Burton US Open halfpipe results: Taylor Gold takes first, Taku Hiraoka swoops second
Perfect weather and a highly praised SPT-built pipe played host to the method-heavy 2014 Burton US Open halfpipe finals, as Taylor Gold trumped the finals field to take the win. Gold made it clear that he was gunning for the top of the podium, going absolutely huge and laying out a smooth, styled out set of 3 runs, the final being his first-ever victory lap.
Gold out rode the competition with a winning run that included not only a huge method air, but a slew of old school grabs that no other competitor was throwing. His full winning run consisted of a massive method air, frontside 1260 tail grab, double Michalchuk melon grab, frontside double cork 1080 indy, Cab 1080 roastbeef, and a crippler chickensalad, scoring an 87.63.
Mark Mcmorris wins the Burton US Open for the second year running, Sandbech takes second
Kelly Clark wins the 2014 Burton US Open women’s halfpipe, earns her 7th US Open title
Jamie Anderson tops 2014 Burton US Open women’s slopestyle podium
Coming in second was Taku Hiraoka, who recently won a bronze medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics and just today earned himself the World Snowboard Halfpipe Title. Third place went to 17-year-old Swiss rider David Habluetzel.
Men’s Halfpipe Final Results:
1. Taylor Gold (USA), BURTON, 87.63
2. Taku Hiraoka (JPN), BURTON, 86.88
3. David Habluetzel (SUI), BURTON, 83.23
4. Ben Ferguson (USA), BURTON, 77.93
5. Kent Callister (AUS), LIB TECH, 77.58
6. Gabe Ferguson (USA), BURTON, 73.10
7. Jake Pates (USA), BURTON, 73.00
8. Louie Vito (USA), VIVE, 68.28
9. Christian Haller (SUI), BURTON, 67.38
10. Yiwei Zhang (CHN), MINI, 62.03